Fields of Application
- Ground support in conventional excavation
- Soft ground Tunneling
- Vertical and inclined tunnels
- TBM and MTBM jacking load resistance system
- Shaft and cofferdam support
- Smooth liner plates: shield excavation or tunnel boring machines
- Gasketed liner plates: hydrostatic conditions and reduction of water inflow
- Tapered liner plates: used for changes in alignment, both horizontal and vertical
4-flange steel liner plates, a system which has been successfully used since 1926, provide light-weight, easy-to-handle, and safe support for soft ground Tunneling and shaft construction made in the USA (Louisville, Kentucky).
4-flange liner plates manufactured by DSI Underground are available in 400 and 610 [mm] (16" and 24") widths as corrugated or smooth plates. Liner plates are formed from one piece of steel to provide longitudinal and circumferential flanges with optimum load-bearing and bending resistance characteristics.
4-flange liner plates can be galvanized, bitumen coated, and polymer coated. Grout holes and plugs can also be coated. For special conditions, gasketed liner plates and tapered liner plates can also be manufactured. Liner plates are installed as stand-alone structures or in conjunction with steel ribs if additional support is required.
Diameters of tunnels and shafts supported solely with 4-flange liner plates can vary from 1.2 to 6.1 [m] (4" to 20"). The liner plate assembly simply distributes and transmits the load to the surrounding ground. As a steel liner plate ring takes load vertically, it tends to deflect inward at the top and outward at the sides. Thereby, the ground resists deflection of the lining by developing a passive force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by that of the lining.
- Optimized cycle times and manpower requirements
- Maximum consistent passive support strength with minimum weight of steel
- Safe support system
- Easy to store, handle, and erect
- Flexible design for different tunnel geometries and ground conditions
- Fire resistant system components
- Optional gasket plates for sealing of joints available on request
- DSI Underground’s 4-flange smooth liner plates are the only liner plate type capable of resisting tunnel boring machine jacking loads without any supplemental structural support